What is optical character recognition?
The technique of electronically extracting text from photographs of printed or handwritten documents is referred to as optical character recognition. The OCR program examines the picture and makes an effort to identify and recognize each character. It then transforms the image into text that is readable by machines and may be modified, searched, and otherwise digitally processed.
The process of OCR normally consists of multiple phases, one of which is picture pre-processing (the image is improved and cleaned up to increase recognition accuracy). After that, the OCR software will conduct an analysis of the picture, during which it will locate certain characters and make an effort to recognize them based on the patterns and forms they exhibit. Lastly, the text has been identified, it is produced as readable text by machines and may then be modified and processed further.
Application of OCR
The optical character recognition tool is put to use in a wide number of fields, including the following:
- Scanning and digitizing paper documentsOCR software is used to scan and digitize paper documents, such as contracts, invoices, and receipts. This makes the documents searchable and makes it simpler to handle them electronically.
- Text recognition in photos It may be used to read text from images like photographs or screenshots so that it can be utilized in search engines or other digital applications.
- Handwriting recognition
OCR software may be used to detect and transcribe handwritten text. This makes it possible to digitize handwritten documents such as notes, letters, and other papers.
The advantages of using the OCR system
- Improved efficiency. Substantially accelerate the process of scanning and processing documents, decreasing the amount of time and effort necessary to manually transcribe the text in the process.
- Increased recognition rates. Over the last several years, this kind of technology has seen significant advancements, with recognition rates approaching or even exceeding those of humans.
- Savings on expenses. If documents are digitized and processed electronically, it is possible to save money on the costs associated with paper-based document management. These costs include printing, storing, and distributing documents.
Nevertheless, there are also some possible drawbacks of this technology.
The disadvantages of using the OCR system
- Errors in recognition. OCR technology is not always flawless, and there may be occasions when it makes mistakes while identifying certain characters or typefaces. Proofreading by a human being could be necessary to assure correctness.
- Sensitivity to picture quality. It may have its accuracy affected in a variety of ways by the quality of the source image, including aspects such as the image’s resolution, illumination, and degree of image distortion.
- Handwriting recognition is often more difficult than detecting written text, and accuracy might be worse when recognizing cursive or other non-standard handwriting styles. However, there are ways to improve handwriting recognition.
OCR reader and scanner
An OCR scanner is a piece of hardware that takes an image of a document, such as a snapshot of text or a piece of paper, and then gets that image ready for OCR processing. OCR scanners often have high-resolution sensors that can capture detailed pictures of the document. Additionally, they may include other functions such as color correction, automated document feeders, and duplex scanning.
An optical character reader, often known as OCR software, is a piece of software that runs on a computer and does the actual OCR processing by analyzing the scanned picture. The OCR reader conducts an analysis of the picture, identifies individual characters and words within it, and then transforms this information into editable and searchable digital text.
- OCR scanner and reader are two components of a system that operate together to extract text from handwritten or printed documents and transform it into digital text that can be read by a computer.
The OCR software may be used on its own or combined with other programs to improve workflow. In order to increase their accuracy and recognition rates, many OCR readers additionally integrate capabilities such as the ability to recognize text in a variety of languages, the ability to recognize handwriting, and picture enhancement.
The combination of a scanner and reader makes it possible for people, corporations, and organizations to digitize and process paper documents, which makes them searchable and simpler to handle electronically.
Optical character recognition technology has the potential to enhance productivity, accuracy, and cost savings in a wide range of applications.